Monday, October 29, 2012

The Cave of Shem and Ever in Zfat

B"H 

I am back in Zfat (Northern Israel) until Wednesday and while I was walking around after my arrival today, I found the door to the famous cave of Shem and Ever open. I was able to take a glimpse inside. The following video came out a bit dark but the photos may provide you a better impression.

Shem used to be the youngest son of Noach (Noah) and Ever was Shem's grandson. Jewish tradition says that the two were studying Torah in this particular cave. 

When we say that our ancestors studied Torah although the Torah wasn't then officially given, well, there are different opinions on that concept. They surely didn't study Torah as we do today but it is explained that the ancestors, in particular Avraham, had the principle in mind. 

However, I do not yet have the historical knowledge of how and why it was stipulated that this cave used to be Shem and Ever's cave. 














Copyright / Photos: Miriam Woelke

No comments:

Post a Comment