Thursday, October 11, 2012

Rabbi Simcha Bunim of Peshis'cha on THE KUZARI 1:25

B"H

I have been preparing Parashat Bereshit and to me it feels like all my life is stuck in that particular Parasha. BERESHIT and NOACH and this is it for me. Simply because I love those two Parashot and could spend all my life studying them. As many Sages say: "The entire creation as well as the secrets of the universe and all science we can find in the first sentences of Bereshit !"

Yesterday I read some commentaries of the chassidic Rabbi Simcha Bunim of Peshis'cha (1765 - 1827) and any Gur or Kotzk follower will be happy now.:-)

The Rabbi took a sentence from SEFER KUZARI 1:25 and explained it. I don't know whether this is the only explanation but it is a clear and simple one:

It says in the Torah

"I am Hashem, your G - d, who has taken you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery".

Rashi, the Rambam as well as the Maharal wrote extensive commentaries on this statement but I am just referring to Rabbi Simcha Bunim's interpretation at the moment. 

SEFER KUZARI is raising the question why G - d told the Jews to refer to Him as "the G - d who took them (the Jews) out of Egypt". Why didn't G - d command them referring to Him as "the G - d who created the world" ? Wouldn't this have been more logical ?

Answers Rabbi Simcha Bunim of Peshis'cha:

"When referring to G - d as the Creator, all humans are involved, as G - d created the world for any human being on earth. However, G - d is speaking to the Jews by stating His name "E - lo - kei - cha = YOUR G - d". Meaning that He was only referring to the Jews taking them out of Egypt. All other nations are not involved in this G - dly action. And this is the reason why Jews refer to G - d as Him who took them out of Egypt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment