Monday, February 6, 2012

Givat Sha'ul / Jerusalem

B"H

The Givat Sha'ul neighbourhood is one of the city's haredi areas. All kinds of different Haredim live there. From Litvishe to Chassidim. 

Years ago, I used to have friends living in the main road Givat Sha'ul Street. People who were actually national religious. They never really fit into the neighbourhood nor into the apartment building where they lived for a couple of years. The family's children went to the national religious "Noam" school and not to any haredi "Talmud Torah" or "Beit Yaakov". 

When I once came to visit my friends, a haredi neighbourrefused to share the elevator with me and insisted on "No Yichud". I remember me being upset because I had to walk up the stairs, as the guy occuppied the elevator. 

Eventually my friends left Givat Sha'ul but not because of them not fitting. They left because they couldn't afford the high rent anymore, as the woman lost her job. In the end the moved to the national religious town of Beit El outside Jerusalem. 


Jerusalem with view onto Givat Sha'ul on the left.



Mossad Harav Kook: Library and lecture hall.



Right next to the Mossad HaRav Kook we find the Mikveh in a small building used by Chassidut Stropkov as Yeshiva.



The Stropkov Yeshiva. The group's main synagogue in Jerusalem is located in Mea Shearim Street.



Jerusalem with view onto the Central Bus Station.

Copyright / Photos: Miriam Woelke

No comments:

Post a Comment