Friday, February 18, 2011

Shabbat Shalom


At the beach in Tel Aviv

 Photo: Miriam Woelke

B"H

Sometimes I am asking myself what is better: Having Friday off, preparing for Shabbat, maybe do some meditation before entering Shabbat, relax and go to the Synagogue or, as I do at the moment, work on Fridays, finish work 1 - 2 hours before Shabbat and then run. Preparing myself, running to the Synagogue and only then relaxing. 


Maybe the first possibility sounds better because you find the time of preparing yourself but what about people who have to work ? I have to say that it does bother me not finding enough time but, on the other hand, there must be something positive in for people like me working. I remember a story where once a family was celebrating the Pessach Seder. It was in Galut and on the first night of Pessach, they just did everything so right. The husband took his time, explained the Haggadah and everything around was just so perfect and holy. On the second night however, somehow the husband overslept and the family started its Seder only an hour before midnight. They were rushing like mad through the Haggadah and nothing seemed to be holy anymore. The husband was upset because he felt so lost und unconfortable before G - d due to his "stupid" mistake. Nevertheless, the second Seder of rushing through was more appreciated by G - d, as the first one. Suddenly there were some true emotions even by rushing through. And I am convinced that I am going with true emotions into Shabbat because I just know that it is Shabbat. I am looking forward to it whether other who relax may just enter it as usua or as a habit. 


"Shabbat Shalom - Gut Schabbes" to all readers !

No comments:

Post a Comment