Wednesday, September 22, 2010

VeSamachta be'Chagecha


Photo: Miriam Woelke


B"H

Rain in Jerusalem: Just a few minutes ago it was pouring. Very unusual for September, as the raining period only starts in October. Maybe a good sign because Israel desperately needs rain.

Last night I went to buy my own Lulav. A set including the Etrog and I hope that I can rely on the seller when he checked whether all the items are kosher. The Lulav business on Sukkot is a huge business. Not only in Jerusalem. Even little haredi kids are selling sets in order to earn a few Shekels. And suddenly it doesn't matter anymore if you are male or female. Haredi boys and adults talked to me because they wanted to sell.

I am very proud of myself, as it is the first time ever that I bought a Lulav. All those years before I went to Chabad and shook a "public" Lulav.

The Hebrew edition of the haredi magazine "Mishpacha" has a huge article about the TOLDOT AHARON today. Don't get too excited: The article, as the entire "Mishpacha", doesn't publish too many critical issues and basically everything is just great and perfect in haredi society. So, don't expect any scandals uncovered ! This you have to do by yourself.

Jerusalem is busy and the Machane Yehudah Market is already flooded with buyers. The holidays cost us lots of money and prices for food are up. Let alone all the Etrog business and purchasing things for the Sukkah.

I know that there is a Halacha that a Jew shouldn't write on Chol HaMoed but there may be a Machloket about whether a Jew is allowed to write in case he is reporting about the holiday itself to other people. I will ask a Rabbi tonight about the issue. However, I am going to write about all kind of Sukkot events in Jerusalem. If the Sikarikim in Mea Shearim go wild, about the action in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City and about the vicious Christian missionary parade through downtown Jerusalem.

"Chag Sameach - Happy Sukkot" to all readers !

No comments:

Post a Comment