Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Photos: Chicken Kapparot in Jerusalem


B"H

Last night, I went to see the Yom Kippur Kapparot done with chickens. Especially kabbalistic literature is referring to this way of doing Kapparot before Yom Kippur.
Here are some impressions from the schoolyard of the ETZ CHAIM YESHIVA near Jerusalem's Machane Yehudah Market:

 



Ritual slaughter (Shechitah) of the Kapparot - Chicken done by the Schochet.







The Chickens







After the ritual slaughter, the Schochet throws the chickens into those wholes in order to loose their blood and eventually die.

One of the guys working at a stand offered me a chicken but I refused. A while ago, I stopped doing Kapparot at all and I am thus following the Ramban who calls it a "foolish custom".
I took those pictures but was near to throw up. The smell of fresh blood was unbelievable and I escaped after a short while.


Photos & Copyright: Miriam Woelke


Links on KAPPAROT:



No comments:

Post a Comment