Friday, June 25, 2010

Shabbat Shalom


Entrance to Jerusalem

Photos: Miriam Woelke

B"H

Today, its been four years since Gilad Shalit was kidnapped by the Hamas. His parents, Aviva and Noam Shalit together with thousands of other people are going to start a march to Jerusalem on Sunday. The parents want their son back but, on the other hand, the Israeli government has to take care about all citizens and not "only" of Gilad Shalit. What if those high - ranking terrorists would be released and cause other families pain ? Who is going to take responsibility ?

Gilad Shalit has pushed the haredi Emmanuel issue out of today's headlines. What secular papers not report is that on Wednesday, Netanyahu made a statement saying that what is going against haredi society at the moment, is unacceptable. If any foreign country would act in such a way against religious Jews, Israel would cry out. However, in the Jewish State of Israel, no one is crying out but hatred between Haredim and Haredim and secular Jews is going on an on and leading to more separation.

Secular Ashkenazi Ramat Aviv (the Beverly Hills of Tel Aviv) Jews protest against Chabad in their neighbourhood. Where are we going to ? Becoming a society of assimilated Jews who anxiously strive for being just as anybody else in the world ?
I know Chabad in Ramat Aviv and don't see anything wrong with offering kids to put on Tefillin. Would the people in Ramat Aviv rather prefer Christian missionaries ?

I need to call up someone in Mea Shearim and apologize that I haven't been to a wedding of their granddaughter. Then I have to explain myself for the 1000th time why I am not like this and that. Then I have to explain why I am still in Tel Aviv and then I have to explain my whole personality. And then I will start thinking who I am. For the 1000th time.

"Shabbat Shalom - Gut Schabbes" to all of you !

No comments:

Post a Comment