Friday, January 1, 2010

Shabbat Shalom




B"H


The world was celebrating its "new year" and I escaped Tel Aviv. Last night I stayed in Jerusalem and first I felt very uncomfortable. I have not stayed on a Thursday night in Jerusalem for at least a year and a half. While passing the Central Bus Station I felt homesick and wanted to go to Tel Aviv; however, in the city at the coast, too many people celebrated the goyishe new year and this is why I stayed in the Holy City. With a friend I went to the Malcha Mall and we were occupying Kentucky Fried Chicken. Too much fat but tasty.


Whoever is waking up in Israel this morning will face a surprise: The Egged busses got more expensive. In Tel Aviv you now pay 5,80 Shekels for one ride and in Jerusalem about 6,20 Shekels. Except for certain price raises, you will not see a difference in people's behaviour after the sylvester night. Shabbat is coming in soon and some rest is right ahead. I do not understand how Chassidim succeed in going for Kabbalat Shabbat in the evening, to the Rebbe's Tish and then rise early in the morning for Shacharit. I think I would be dead.


The same with the women: Cleaning, taking care of I do not know how many kids, cooking, serving the meal and then going to the Tish. In the morning, they come to the Synagogue. Well, later than the men but most women do show up.


I work the whole week and on Shabbat I am a kind of nifter (dead). Longing for rest and reading a good book. It looks like as if I am (not yet) on any level to compete with the chassidishe Shabbat activities.


"Shabbat Shalom - Gut Schabbes" to everyone !

No comments:

Post a Comment