Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Modest Collar

B"H

Before entering the Toldot Aharon Synagogue in order to see the Simchat Beit HaShoeva celebrations, I found myself passing a few of the group's women handing out booklets. Of course, I wanted one and after some hesitation went up to them and asked for one edition. These three or four women were dressed extremely modestly. The typical Toldot Aharon clothes: black and head including neck were covered.
Although tradition is slightly changing among the younger female group members, there still is a real hardcore wearing the total head cover with fringes.

The booklet tells all kinds of stories against haredi women wearing wigs (Sheitels). I will write more on that soon.

However, one page inside the booklet was about how a modest woman should wear her collar. Here are some examples given. The box in the middle shows all kosher variations. The examples in the circles around are not always kosher.

Have a look and decide which collar you are going to wear !
The pictures don't show any faces because many Haredim don't show any faces, no matter where.



4 comments:

  1. thans for this
    it just doesnt show how to tie a tie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very serious business. Check out my new website: CollarYourEishesChayil.org
    I will be going through the streets of Boro Park with a megaphone making sure that women get the message. And there will be inspections every two blocks starting next zman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. havent you heard the old joke? the chusid ties the gartel around his waist, to show the dividing line between saichel and dovor acher is half and half...the litvak ties a necktie, and l'havdil, the arab ties around his head...showing minimal saichel.

    my point is that most chasidim (ie Toldes Ahren) dont wear neckties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B"H

    A woman should close off her whole neck. The last button before the collar.

    Let me tell you one thing:

    Last night I was in Bnei Brak and, for a change, I dressed haredi.
    I didn't wear a blouse but a T - shirt and over it a long - sleeve shirt and whoever knows Tel Aviv or Bnei Brak knows what this means:
    It means sweating like something.
    Temperature and humidity were extremely high and I was just wet.
    As soon as I came back to Tel Aviv, I took off my shirt and only wore the T - shirt.

    I don't care about Boro Park but come here and make your inspections. If you live with such a daily heat, you may think differently. At least as a woman.
    Why are men allowed to open their last button on their shirt and roll up their sleeves ?

    I don't think that Meshiach hasn't shown up yet because I wear a T - shirt.

    ReplyDelete