Sunday, August 30, 2009

Back from Hebron

B"H

This morning, I left quite early for Hebron. I have never really been there except for passing through on a bus and getting stoned. This was years ago but Hebron still shows lots of tentions. The city is divided between Jews and Arabs. The Jews only possess a quarter of the city and I always had to be careful where to walk and depended on Israeli soldiers showing me the way. Once I didn't feel too save because I was surrounded by Arab kids and teenagers but I remeained calm and just kept on walking.

My main destination was, of course, the Ma'arat HaMachpelah" where our forefathers and Adam and Eve (Chava) are buried. I was shocked because there were old green covers made out of fabric covering the graves of Avraham and Sarah. The covers had a golden inscription in Arabic. I had not expected the Machpelah looking so Arab in its design. As expected, the "Yitzchak Hall" was closed and only accessible for Arabs.

Why Yitzchak ? Why not Avraham ? What do Muslims have to do with Yitzchak ?

I am still on a little vacation but I am going to give lots of details on Hebron this week.

2 comments:

  1. B"H

    Thanks for the link !

    I didn't know that Muslims consider him as a prophet. Basically all three halls, Olam Avraham, Olam Yitzchak and Olam Yaakov belong to the Muslims in the Machpelah. However, Olam Yitzchak is only open for Jews dring Pessach and Sukkot.

    ReplyDelete