Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Machlises need Changes

B"H

Rabbi Mordechai Machlis and his Shabbat hospitality is famous throughout Jerusalem. Thousands of people have been to his house over the past 25 years and enjoyed a Shabbat meal and a great Shabbat atmosphere. I have been to the Machlis for many years and always love to come back.

Within the past few months, however, things have changed a lot. The Machlis family decided to go on the Internet and publish their Shabbatot there. Meaning, they invite anyone to come.
ANYONE !
Unfortunately this ANYONE is obviously taken too seriously and for some time already, Christians have started to stream in. Not one, not two, but groups. The Rabbi always emphasizes the Shabbat atmosphere in his house but where is the atmosphere when right across a Christian with a big cross around his neck is sitting.
Cross or not, many religious Jews have been complaining lately. We don't want Christians with crosses or certain remarks at our Shabbat table. When I go for a Shabbat meal I do intend being with Jews and not explaining myself why we don't accept J. as the Meshiach or why we now eat kosher or the meaning of Kiddush.

Last Friday night I went to the Machlises with a friend. We were placed at a table with a Christian woman brought by one of the Kotel (Western Wall) beggars. This particular beggar always ships in FEMALE tourists because he is also famous for being a pervert. So, beggar told her to sit down and plenty of food would come out of the kitchen soon. Across sat a very obvious mentally disturbed guy proclaiming that there is nothing more evil in this world than rabbis. A few minutes later, a Christian couple was also placed at our table. In the meantime the beggar told me to move over, as he wanted to sit next to the Christian woman he had brought. Guess why !
I refused and was told that I am a piece of garbage.

During the course of the meal, Rabbi Machlis usually asks people to stand up and give a small teaching. The disturbed guy got up and yelled that we should destroy all the rabbis in this world.
Rabbi Machlis apparently considered this as a great entertainment because he laughed. A few minutes later he gave an explanation to the shocked audience that this, of course, was not his opinion.

My friend was long gone by then, as she had already left as soon as the disturbed guy was screaming around at our table as well. Even the Christian couple was shocked but the "friend" of the beggar just ate, as if she hadn't eaten for two weeks. After the first course, the beggar walked out with her.

For months it hasn't been a secret that all kinds of people are showing up at the Machlis house. The Rabbi means well but many guests have to suffer through and afterwards never show up anymore. I myself hadn't been to the Machlises too many times lately.

Seminary girls were complaining that divorced Israeli guys in the late 40ies, early 50ies are bothering them. Those guys need a Shidduch and as soon as they see a young American girl they think that this is it. Money is just floating in from the rich Americans and no more suffering through the social benefit life.

The problem is that Rabbi Machlis hardly listens and we females got the feeling that he doesn't listen to women at all. When I once complained about a Christian missionary called Ryan, I was just told off that this is probably not true and I must have got the wrong impression. One or two weeks later, this particular missionary was caught in action at the Machlises and left. Not by the Rabbi but by an Italian Jew sitting nearby.

Last Erev Shabbat I got so fed up with my table that I decided to leave. It was time anyway because I was planning to go to a chassidic Tish. As soon as I got up, the yelling guy got up as well and started following me outside. I was lucky that one of the Machlis girls talked to him and this gave me time to run, hide and disappear.

Is this a religious Jewish atmosphere being called "garbage" because a pervert wants to have his pleasure and a mental guy starts following me and I have to run ? Not only run but taking another way to the chassidic Tish. Walking all the way around because the disturbed guy is on the main road and may see me.

When I left I was so upset and fed up that my Friday night was ruined. I didn't even feel like going to a Tish anymore and thought about just going to bed. However, I went to the Tish in order to get some atmosphere. And, by the way, I succeeded.

My friend told me later that on her way home, she met another woman who had also escaped. There are plenty of Jews getting fed up and if the Machlises don't set a limit to the guests they let into their house, nutcases will soon take over.

The Machlises are doing a great Mitzvah and Chesed with their hospitality but they shouldn't too much concentrate on quantities but more on qualities. And I don't want to spend my Shabbat with mental cases, perverts and people from streets and soup kitchens or too many Christians. Of course, it is the Rabbi's house and he decides who is coming but he shouldn't be surprised when the religious more and more stay away.

18 comments:

  1. I love the Machlis family as much as my own, but I agree with you. I can't bear to go anymore because each time I do my Shabbat is ruined. Some weeks back a yeshiva student asked some xtians how they found the place. The response was: oh, the tour guide said it was the only place to get a free meal so here we are. No atmosphere. It is so sad because this family gives everything--to bad it is not appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tis a shame...i was a talmid of R'Machlis about 20 years ago in BMT, and as 'colourful' as the atmosphere was, it never was a balagan like you are describing now. I hope all will be corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B"H

    I remember that he used to teach at BMT. More than ten years ago, the atmosphere was great. The Machlises mostly had Yeshiva people but also some crazy guys coming in.

    Since they have been advertising on the Internet, everyone just shows up. Jew, Gentile, real mental cases, Yeshiva guys. The problem is that the Rabbi cannot say NO and he would never tell anyone to leave. On the other hand, the loonies know this and are using his place as a platform.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More than the homeless and the crazies that show up I am bothered by the xtians. They go to find out how Jews think so they can then approach the young kids and "convert" them using the right words. Just pay attention--they ride the buses, sit in the street cafes. When you see an older man approach a young boy--look closely--lately I caught 2 on the bus! The rabbi and his family are truly wonderful people but sadly I think they are doing great harm to future Jewish souls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. B"H

    I think that most Christians coming to the Machlises don't want to missionize but rather have a good meal and look at a bunch of Jews keeping these "weird" Shabbat laws.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO true! Although I appreciate what the Machlises do, I stopped going years ago because of incidents like these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. B"H

    I feel sorry for the Rabbi but, as I said, it is hard to tell him something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. B"H

    Also into a Jewish madhouse, as he has many drunk or mentally ill homeless. One drunk Yemenite even punched the Rabbi's face a few years ago. The drunkard was told not to come anymore but after a year, he showed up again.

    The Rabbi feels sorry for all this people and I can understand him. But do I have to sit with some extreme mental cases for three hours ?

    I once spoke to his wife Henny but she told me that her husband decides.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohr Sameach BallerJune 14, 2009 at 3:19 AM

    To all posting on this blog to voice your discontent,

    There is a simple solution: stop going!

    It is not your place (literally) to say who should go and to lash out at mentally ill people for coming to his apartment for Shabbas. If everyone acted according to your standards then you cannot appreciate the essence of Judaism.

    G-d bless Rabbi Machlis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. B"H

    I don't really believe that Rabbi Machlis wrote this but - whatever ...

    I did stop going and you are right when you say it is not my place !
    But what do you have to say about all the other people complaining ?
    I guess that this is not their place either !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also stopped going--as did so many people--many of us who are without a family and looking for a shabbat with a Jewish family. It is not only the mentally unstable and drunks who are without families. Some of us just happen to be in the situation of being alone. At one time the Machlis home was a beautiful gift to us, and we happily supported his efforts. Too bad, because the Rabbi and his entire family are the most loving people--they used to really make my week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Youch. Hi Miriam, Moshe here (the fellow who's been emailing you privately and who's commenting anonymously right now as well). I just noticed the newer comments here and I just want to point out that the fellow going by "Ohr Sameach Baller" isn't claiming that he himself is Rabbi Machlis but you seem to think that he is saying that. I can tell you for certain that the person who wrote that isn't Rabbi Machlis because Rabbi Machlis has never left a comment on the internet anywhere. the only way that he would communicate with anyone online would be either through me or one other person and neither of us wrote that. I just want to make that clear that you're right of course that Rabbi Machlis did not write that comment. That's it. I just thought I should mention it in the same space that it's written, lest anyone consider that maybe Rabbi Machlis wrote that. Otherwise, please respond to me by email. Thanks and all the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. B"H

    @ Moshe

    Chas veChalilah !
    I never believed that Rabbi Machlis would write such a comment but the person writing it shouldn't have been so foolish using his name in vain !

    Regards,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your comment made me smile. :-)

    You have a unique way of writing - and with such passion - that it's very cool to read.

    I just wrote you a private email as well.

    All the best,

    Moshe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lashon Hara is never a positive action. This Chassid (R. Machlis) has given up his Shabbatot with his family for 30 years. There are not many people who would be willing to host the "mentally disturbed, beggars, and drukards, etc." but what a mitzvah he is doing. As "Ohr Sameach Baller" suggested, if it's not for you, then don't go. Rav Machlis, through his unique strength, has decided to try to help the "un-helpable". He needs support and has asked for support. Have any one of the "bloggers" come forward to help meet his financial needs? Rav Machlis deserves more than to be dissed by "religious" Jews looking for a free Shabbat meal.

    http://www.themachliscampaign.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. B"H

    It is always easy condemning any kind of criticism as Lashon HaRah. This argument is just too easy.

    As I said, Rabbi Machlis can invite who he wants but, on the other hand, he also has to accept that other people stay away. And I do !

    ReplyDelete
  17. FYI
    Any damaging or derogatory expressions a person makes, that is not for a constructive purpose, is deemed Lashon Hara.

    Do you know how much damage and pain you caused this holy Rav by posting this obscenity online!?! What positive thing has it accomplished?

    I don't think the purpose of the previous comment had much to do with Lashon Hara. Perhaps you just have a guilty conscience. Anyhow, I'm sure this was all just a misunderstanding, and you would really love to be by the Machlis family, but feel you've grown out of it, which is understandable. The Machlis Shabbos table is not a "chassidish tish". It's a place for those who don't have a place to connect. You know, you can still pray at the Kotel with the Machlis's, and be close to them in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. B"H

    You just sound like this guy Moshe Rudner sending me all those mails and acting on behalf of the Machlises.

    Now let me tell you one thing, Moshe:

    You may act on behalf of the Machlises concerning the donations but what you are doing here, is definitely not on behalf of the Rabbi. If I see him, the only one I am complaining about is you and your stalking comments and e - mails.

    Whatever, the person who wrote this comment needs a serious mental treatment !!!!

    ReplyDelete