Monday, June 15, 2009

Golda Holterman

B"H

Israeli art students seem to have found a new field of interest. A few weeks ago, I heard about it in Tel Aviv and thought "Wow, something new. Sounds interesting".

Since last Friday, however, I am got the message that apparently many artists have discovered a new object: the local prostitutes.
Among those artists is also a young woman with the name Golda Holterman. What is so special about her and why is such a topic coming up on a religious blog ?

Until a few years ago, Golda Holterman studied in a litvishe seminary in Mea Shearim. During her third and last year of those studies, she signed up at the Israeli Bezalel Art University. She left religion and found her life in the world of photography.

Already a while ago, she started taking pictures of prostitutes in Tel Aviv.

Due to modesty reasons I am not putting any of those pictures into the blog. But last Friday, I read an interview with her in an Israeli newspaper where Golda Holterman claimed that she also took pictures of male Haredim from Mea Shearim. First I thought that this cannot be true. Now I found some of those pictures on the Internet and I am putting one picture into the blog.

Maybe you have an opinion on that !


I am just asking myself how any Haredim could possibly agree. What about the "Mishmeret HaZniut - Modesty Police", parents, etc. ?
Golda Holterman became quite famous and is running some national and international exhibitions.

11 comments:

  1. Never mind about HaZniut--how could anybody allow themselves to be photographed looking so foolish? This is not even a tasteful picture. If he really is haredi his mother would die of shame. I wonder if this is GH's way of taking some kind of revenge on the haredim by ridiculing them. Very sad if this kind of tripe is making her famous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just googled her and see that she has exhibitions in London on Brick Lane, which is a very arty and trendy area. I can't believe these guys posed... I guess they're off the derech, or having some quesitons - whats this thing round his neck?

    ReplyDelete
  3. she grew up in Hifia, i dont know where you know tha she was in Seminar in MS

    read here
    http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3488571,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. B"H

    MAARIV's last Friday edition published a huge article about Golda Holterman. They interviewed her and she said that she was born in (I think it was Serbia) and later came to Israel. She also said that she studied at the Mea Shearim seminary and that the Shadchanit told her to calm down and be more relaxed but Golda refused and thus didn't get a Shidduch. Then she started at Bezalel.

    The picture showing the Haredi is the most modest I could find on the Net. There are more showing other Haredim in underwear but I didn't want them on the blog. If anyone is so interested, I can give him the link.

    She also told in the interview that she went up to these guys in Mea Shearim and asked if they would like to be an object for her camera. I wonder how she did that !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That 'thing' around his neck is a typical collar from a medieval european costume, although without the rest of the outfit (stockings, short pants, etc) it looks silly and out of place. Perhaps I am not a patron of the arts, but just putting a silly collar on a chusid seems to lack artistic value.

    ReplyDelete
  6. B"H

    Medieval or not, this picture is nothing compared to the guys in underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. she was bor in israel, went from age 3 till 6 to grandparents in USSR, her dad was a US solder, shedesnt hate caradim at all, read this

    http://www.nrg.co.il/online/47/ART1/902/049.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. B"H

    No one claimed that Golda Holterman would hate haredi society now !

    She just left the Mea Shearim seminary and studied photography at Bezalel. Then she took pictures of protitutes in Tel Aviv and, additionally she took pictures of male Haredim. Not because of hatred but because she considers it as art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the guy in just boxer shorts and tefilin, still can't believe it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looked at a couple of her pics. How humiliating for the people she has posing. I think it is sad, and somewhat disgusting when a person makes money on the misfortunes of others. Too bad she can't use her skills in a more positive manner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. B"H

    I don't think that it is humilating. Those people on the pictures agreed and even received money from Golda Holterman. At least the prostitutes. About the Haredim I don't know.

    Someone in Tel Aviv told me that it has been an art fashion for a long time, taking pictures of prostitutes. And the prostitutes, on the other hand, are being paid for that. Nothing is for free anymore.:-)

    ReplyDelete