Sunday, May 3, 2009

Tish in Belz

B"H

This is a true story about enjoying the Friday night Kiddush (blessing over the wine on Shabbat) too much.


I was in Jerusalem and eating at a friend's place. When it came to making Kiddush, she announced that we have to make it over white wine, as she doesn't have any red one. Eventually she found a bottle of grape juice in the fridge turning out to be sweet red wine. I enjoyed the Kiddush so much, due to the great wine called "Ginossar", that I lost my mind. A little bit but not much.

Finally we decided to go to the Tish of the Belzer Rebbe and I was planning a shortcut. Not so easy with a mind full of red wine.
We passed the Boyaner Synagogue, went straight ahead until we got to Yirmeyahu Street. I saw the TNUVA building (which isn't TNUVA anymore but belongs to Chassidut Gur) and was confused. I thought that Bar Ilan Street would be a little further down.
I stood in the middle of the road and started to get my thoughts together. In the meantime, my friend was bugging me to find the right way. I told her "to leave me alone, as I am drunk". Not drunk but just putting some order into my orientation.

At that very moment, a Chassid passed by. He looking like a Vishnitzer in his black Bekishe (long black shiny Shabbat coat), the Streimel (fur hat) and his white sox. He stopped and asked in some sort of American English what we are looking for.
"Bar Ilan", I said.
"Oh, further down", he replied.
I think that I looked a little confused, as I still thought how we could have ended up in Bar Ilan Street so fast.
"Where are you going", the Chassid continued.
"Belz".
"Just straight and then you will see it. Schabbes".

My friend jumped on me and said that next time we are searching for something I should just stand in the middle of the street and yell that I am drunk. Then we would definitely find someone to help us.

In fact, we should be grateful to this Chassid helping us finding a great shortcut. We got to Belz so fast, that we even arrived before the Tish started. Only one woman was sitting at the Ezrat Nashim (women's side). First I didn't notice it but then I saw this stage set up at the Ezrat Nashim. Two chairs were standing on it and the whole thing was surrounded by a fence.
This was where the Belzer Rebbitzen is usually sitting.

After a few minutes she walked in. Wearing a wig and a white Tichel on top.
The Rebbitzen comes from a very famous family. Her father is the old Vishnitzer Rebbe of Bnei Brak, the two present Vishnitzer Rebbes of Bnei Brak are her brothers. One of her sisters is married to the Skverer Rebbe and another one to Rebbe Aharon Teitelbaum from Satmar.

The Rebbitzen sat down on one of the chairs on the stage and soon her husband appeared downstairs. It is always an amazing to watch the Belzer Chassidim when their Rebbe is approaching the hall. Someone whistles and everyone just runs up to their places. A Chassid told me that each of them has his firm place.
It is just like a King is walking in.
It may sound trivial but I really do like the Belzer shiny black shoes on Shabbat. No one else has such shiny shoes as a Belzer Chassid.

Usually the Rebbe begins with longs prayers while he is standing at his place. Then he sits down and makes Kiddush. Rebbe Yissachar Dov Rokeach eats a whole meal and I am always waiting for the Challot from our bakery to show up. But, obviously, he eats them at home.
Our bakery has the Belzer kashrut certificate (Badatz Belz) and many times, we make the Challot (Shabbat breads) for the Rebbe. Always without yeast !

I like Belz but they are too organized for me. Everything is almost overdone in a certain way. How the Challot are being cut, how the slices are placed on top and next to each other. How the fruit is placed on the trays. Everything is so much in order. We enjoyed ourselves very much but left when the Rebbe began eating his soup.

The way back was easy to find (for a change) but, unfortunately, next week, the Rebbe won't be in Jerusalem but in Telshe Stone (I think it was Telshe Stone).




The Belzer Beit Midrash in Jerusalem.
Altogether it has space for 7000 people.
The chairs are sold for a lifetime to Belzer Chassidim. One chair costs 5000 US Dollar and whoever doesn't have the money in cash, can pay in installments.

9 comments:

  1. Tnuvah doesnt belong to Gur, they wished it did. It belongs to a candian who paid 36 million dollars for the place. he has planning for 10 buildings there...........

    the person behind the real estate deal is the same guy who build on top of rav shefa

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Belzer rebbe will be in Telz Stone next week with the rich belzers, some say he learnet from gur!
    i think min donaion is 100K, fancy going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. B"H

    Wow, thanks for the information about the TNUVA property. In the Israeli press, we had been reading so much of a Gur deal and I was already wondering why Gur doesn't start building their planned complex.


    I cannot understand why some Rebbes more and more get into this fancey stuff. Like asking for so much money for a Shabbat.
    The Gerrer Rebbe did the same lately but a Vishnitzer told me that The Belzer Rebbe even used to do so earlier.
    Isn't that a kind of neglecting your all the other Chassidim with less money ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gur are trying to get teh land that is on Malchi Israel Street right next thier shul. its called the schneler complex. it has no connection to Tnuvah. Schnleer is not yet confirmed belonging to Gur!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the belz rebbe dedicated two hours a week to see his cahsidim, most dont get a chance to ee him at all during the year. before Rosh Hashana they file past to get a blessing for he new year, so if your rich, you get to spend quality time with the rebbe. is that not a fair deal??

    ReplyDelete
  6. B"H

    I know a family leaving Belz and switching to a smaller group. They simply wanted to be close to a Rebbe and have a chance to talk to him.

    I don't know. Belz would be too big for me as well.
    How can the Rebbe still know the Chassidim let alone their children.
    But this is probably the same in any big group. Also in Gur.

    ReplyDelete
  7. its a problem with all the big rebbes. if you go to rabbi David in Nahriyah you will c lots of gur and belz there. he gives attention!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't know you need a rabbi to give you attention. If you believe your rebbe is a tzadick, then the amount of hassidim shouldn't make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. B"H

    But there are Chassidim who would like to be in personla contact with the Rebbe. Study with him, get advise ... I wouldn't call that necessarily "attention".

    For those people, a smaller groups is much more positive than bigger groups like Gur, Satmar, Belz, etc. where you only speak to the Rebbe once upon a time.

    ReplyDelete