Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Peeping Tom

B"H

Maybe I shouldn't write about it but I was just wondering why it always seems to happen to me.

Last Friday afternoon I went to the beach in Tel Aviv before taking off to Jerusalem. On the way down Hayarkon Street I was thinking about which beach to go to. Near Ge'ulah Street with the gym or rather stay near Trumpeldor in order to catch bus no. 4 to the Central Bus Station later on.

Eventually I decided to stay near Trumpeldor and found a nice place in the shade. Right under one of those wooden huts.
Next to me were Germans and to the right some Russian - Israelis. While looking at the sea and getting some spiritual thoughts about G - d's creation together, I saw a teenage couple right in front of me. First I had only noticed the guy in his blue jeans and light green shirt. The girl was sitting behind a wooden pillar belonging to the hut. When they embraced and kissed, I saw the girl and was surprised. Maybe not too much, as in Tel Aviv, you can expect anything !

The guy was obviously secular; at least without a Kipa. The girl was Sephardi Beit Yaakov and still in her blue school uniform.
They seemed to enjoy themselves and I thought about this Israeli TV - series a while ago. Where an Ashkenazi Beit Yaakov girl from Bnei Brak fell in love with a Russian immigrant from Tel Aviv. The series was very popular even among Haredim. The Haredim watched it secretly at Internet Cafes, as they are always curious how the secular world sees them. The end of the series was disappointing because the girl finally married a Yeshiva guy and didn't run away with her lover.

The couple I saw on Friday didn't look like running away but I could see that the girl was looking for someone to understand and actually like her. Not just a cool Shidduch !
I am not saying that Shidduchim are not successful but sometimes people are looking for love and not only for common interests.

2 comments:

  1. girl was Sephardi Beit Yaakov


    why do you stress "sephardi?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    Well, I could have said "Ashkenazia" but she wasn't. I also could have said "Kurdia", "Irakit", "Morroccait" or "Bucharit" but I didn't ask her.

    I don't know why I mentioned it. Maybe the Israeli way of thinking entered my brain too much.

    ReplyDelete