Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kuzari & Hashmatot

B"H

There is always a first time for almost everything and today was my first time: I found out that the "KUZARI - Al Khazari" by Rabbi Yehudah HaLevi has Hashmatot ! Someone told me that certain passages had to be taken out of the book in order not to offend the Christian population.

During the Middle Ages, many Rabbis decided (and sometimes the church put on force) taking out different Psukim from the Talmud etc.,so that the Christians (especially the clergy) would not misinterpret some concepts and start further pogroms. The collection of those passages is called "Hashmatot".

Today I briefly looked at someone's KUZARI and saw that it said on the book cover: "Including Hashamatot !"
Next week I am going to try to find out more about those KUZARI Hashmatot. Anyone has an idea in the meantime ?

No comments:

Post a Comment