Tuesday, March 31, 2009

FACEBOOK is following all of us

B"H

Facebook seems to be terribly addictive to some people. Not only some but millions. Just sitting in front of the computer, exchanging messages, joining groups and making friends. Apropos friends, I think that I have about 70 friends on Facebook. The majority I don't even know personally and I am asking myself if they are my friends. I mean real friends.

I am receiving all kinds of requests for friendship. Sometimes I confirm and sometimes I don't. Actually I just rejected one guy whose Facebook page showed a huge imprint of the name of the Christian "Meshiach". This was a little too much and I couldn't figure out why he wanted me as a friend or why I need him as one. Nothing against Gentiles but the imprint with this J. was just hurting my eyes.

As we always have to look at the positive side, Facebook does have something. Finding long forgotten friends and even the groups provide information about specific subjects. On the other hand, my computer mostly gets stuck somewhere in the middle of a Facebook page or it is taking ages to switch from one page to the next. Secondly, I never know who is entering my site and thus, don't like giving too much private information.
What am I thinking or doing at the moment ? What should I answer to this ? Something funny or the truth ?

Is Zuckerberg really collecting all those information ? Are other people or companies ?

I never understood why users scan in all their private pictures. A friend of mine puts all her pets into her Facebook page. Hundreds of pictures of dogs and cats. Who needs this ?
Maybe I am too practical and don't see the point, as I like to search for reasons. I use Facebook for exchanging some messages (I still prefer regular e - mail) and to collect a few information about different topics. My time using it is limited to 15 Minutes per day.

Twitter is even more commercial, as almost everyone is just typing in a link of something. It is rather like a big publishing company than something personal.
However, I am curious to see how society is changing due to virtual friendships. Why don't you just switch of your computer and try finding real friends ?

Link:

http://pajamasmedia.com/edgelings/2009/03/27/following-the-followers/

No comments:

Post a Comment