Monday, October 13, 2008

Chag Sameach - Happy Sukkot !


B"H

Jerusalem is full of Sukkot (huts for the holiday). There is no other place in this world where the Sukkot atmosphere is as great as in Jerusalem. And there is probably hardly any palce where prices are so high, as in the Jewish Quarter in the Old City. Bring your own food if you are planning a visit in the Old City and don't listen to all the beggars at the way to the Kotel (Western Wall). Those people can sometimes get really annoying but just pass them and don't say a word.

Mea Shearim announced a ban on everyone from the outside planning a visit in the neighbourhood. If this really comes true, it would be very sad. I can understand that the Christians are being kicked out but other Jews... If they behave and dress modestly, so why not let them in ?

Or banning the women as a whole ?
Okay, streets will be crowded and men are going to face women and vice versa. However, this is life and when I cannot deal with it, I stay at home or lock myself into my livingroom. Why does everyone have to suffer from other people's weaknesses ? In this case women are banned because of the male Yetzer. I would love to hear King David's opinion on that ?

Nevertheless, I try to go to as many places as I am allowed to. What else can I do ? Modzidz in Bnei Brak doesn't seem to have a women's entrance, as far as I was told. When I tried to go to their Tish in Bnei Brak, no one knew the women's entrance. Someone else told me afterwards that most Polish chassidic groups have a problem with females. Well, I knew about Gur and probably Alexander - but Modzidz ?

As a female writing about Chassidut and being extremly interested in the subject, many times I am just facing certain limits and it upsets me. Not all the time but when the door is open for men and someone tells me that I should rather go into my kitchen (as it happend last Sukkot in Mea Shearim), I really get upset.
Who are you guy telling me this and at the same time running after your Yetzer ?

Those strict regulations and different behaviours keep me away from joining haredi society. Of course, you can marry a nice open minded guy and do at home whatever you like. In public, however, you have to play the society rules or at least pretend doing so.

I am getting lots of e - mails from Chassidim or people dealing with the subject. They tell me about Tishes and other events. The only problem is that they are mostly male and thus talk about their men's perspective of the Synagogue. Sometimes they tell me about a Tish, I arrive and find out, that only men are allowed in.
Should I maybe buy a Streimel and a Bekishe and play Tootsie ?

On the other hand, it is always interesting getting to know the female side of society. And believe it or not, the women learned how to deal with the issue. They learned it in their own, sometimes even sarcastic, way. There is not much you can do anyway, as no one will change society. At elast not for the time being.

In case you don't only walk around in Mea Shearim or religious areas, visit the Old City and push yourself through the crowd. The bitter taste are thousands of Christians visiting Jerusalem at the moment. This is the real annoying situation. They are everywhere and feel the desire to explain themselves. I don't need those explanations and just keep away from them.

However, there are plenty of Jewish events during Sukkot.
Thursday morning, the "Birkat HaCohanim - Blessing of the Priests" is taking place at the Kotel. In the evening, you find hundreds of "Simchat Beit HaShoeva" events. If you are in the Jewish Quarter, just have a look into the Cardo where Chabad is giving a great concert.

There are many religious Jews who don't write during Chol HaMoed. I do write but not as much as usual. Furthermore, I need some time off from the blogging but this doesn't mean I am hanging around being lazy. I do what I always do: research.
In Jerusalem as well as in Bnei Brak.

I am going to put a few articles in the blog during Sukkot but whatever doesn't find time, needs to wait until after the holiday.

I wish you all a great holiday, Chag Sameach and enjoy the Sukka, the Lulav and especially life !

No comments:

Post a Comment