Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fire in Mea Shearim

B"H

Within the past week, several members of Mea Shearim's modesty police (Mishmeret HaZniut) got arrested by the "Zionist" police of the State of Israel.

This is the latest news from Mea Shearim.

After a woman got attacked by the haredi modesty police in the Jerusalem Maalot Dafna neighbourhood, Israel's police seem to have enough of such incidents. We are a democratic society where everyone can live according to his personal freedom. The modesty squad however, thinks differently and wanted to force the woman, who had escaped from a haredi lifestyle, back into her former frum life.

Now the police are taking action and decided to arrest several modesty police members in the Mea Shearim and Ge'ulah neighbourhood. Last Shabbat I saw two bigger police cars standing in front of a building in Ge'ulah. This was very unusual because you only see ambulances driving around there on Shabbat. Let's say one police car but two big ones. I suspected that something is going on and I overheard a conversation between two local kids where one was asking the other about what is going on. The other child answered that it has no idea.

Due to the arrests, new confrontations with the police took place and some Haredim started burning trash or lit other fires in the middle of Kikar Shabbat (Shabbat Place). I don't know yet, which groups are involved but I am trying to find out.

I could tell my whole opinion about the modesty police and what they do but this is material for a separate article. However, I got the impression that the people involved belong to the Baalei Teshuva movement or am I totally wrong ? I don't think that real group members of the Edah got arrested, as then the Edah HaCharedit would make a huge fuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment