Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The German - Jewish "Hospitality"

B"H

A rather strange discussion is taking place in a German – Jewish forum. Believe it or not, in German – Jewish communities it can happen that Jews from abroad are not allowed to enter. I don't want to describe the whole discussion in the forum but instead explaining the German – Jewish Meshugasen (craziness).


Jews from abroad visiting a German synagogue shouldn't be surprised when security guards deny them the entrance.
Why ?
The German – Jewish justification is that Jews not belonging to a certain community have to call up and reserve a place. Not too much "reserve" but at least announce in advance that they are coming. If someone shows up unexpectedly, the security staff in front of the synagogue is asking you for your Jewish identification. If you don't have a reliable proof, that's it. No entrance. Who knows because you could be lying and be an undercover Neonazi or Arab terrorist.

Throughout my life, I was in countless synagogues of all kind. Satmar, Toldot Aharon, Belz, Karlin – Stolin, chassidic, litvish and national religious, but never ever have a I faced so many difficulties as in front of German synagogues. I can understand that non – Jews have to call up in advance and ask if they can come but Jews …..

A foreign Jewish visitor discovers a synagogue in Germany and wants to enter in order to join the Shabbat service and German Jews don't let him in ? According to Halacha, this is a "Chillul HaShem – a desecration of G – d's name". No doubt that there are security risks but this shouldn't be a reason denying a Jew the entrance to a synagogue. Don't we in Jerusalem have enough terrorists who are prepared to bomb anything they can get hold of ? Do we deny Jews the entrance on Shabbat ? No one would even think of such an absurd idea.

If the Germans are so picky, they should at least place some professional staff in front of their gates. Once it happened to me that Russian security guards asked me what "the hell" I want in this synagogue. As I responded to them in Hebrew in order to identify myself, they wouldn't even know what Hebrew is. This incident happened in Germany.

Before my Aliyah, I went to a different Jewish community and I had even called up before I came. As soon as I entered, the head of the community sent me an Israeli woman in order to investigate if I told the truth; that I am Jewish and speak Hebrew. The lady came and tested my Hebrew. After two sentences we were done and I was allowed in.

As I was not an official member in my former German community, I wasn't allowed to buy Pessach mazzot there. I lived in a smaller town and in order to get Pessach mazzot I would have had to travel for some hours; either to Munich, Frankfurt or to Strasbourgh (France). I was so fed up that I sent an e – mail to Chabad in Brussels and until today, I am very grateful to the Chabad Rabbi Menachem Hadad for accepting me without any stupid remarks and comments, as the Germans love to do.

Many Jews from all over the world told me that they were facing difficulties when they wanted to enter a German synagogue. German communities like to show off that they are growing and so international. However, if they really want to be that way, they have a lot to learn. Getting rid of the German mentality, speaking at least some English and having some kind of a common sense. After my experiences I am no longer in the mood of begging for entrance. If I ever travel to Germany again, I would plan my Shabbat in Antwerp (Belgium)in advance.

In January 1999, I was traveling to London and even there I just walked into a synagogue in Golders Green. Afterwards a Satmar couple invited me for lunch and they didn't ask any questions. After a short conversation my identity was clear anyway.

There is no place like Jerusalem in this world where all Jews have the opportunity of getting invited on Shabbat. At least if you are dressed modestly. And as I mentioned before, security risks exist all over the world and not only in Germany. However, I have never heard before or after such stupid and unnecessary remarks as in German synagogues.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting post.

    Germany. in 1938 8 major cities officially changed Shabbos to Sunday. Then what happened.

    I dont know if you read the blog Circus Tent but it made something I already knew a more slap in the face reality.

    Its bad enough, the lack of ahavas yisroel between religious and secular.

    But the hate religious have towards religious is disgusting. Im at the point of tears when I read or hear people refer to Rebbe's as scoundrels there is just so much hate.

    On positive news. A Rosh Yeshiva and former talmid of the Chofetz Chaim had the Chofetz come to him in a dream and said that Redemption is very close and he must prepare.

    This caused tears of joy.

    May Hashem have mercy on us as the darkness consumes us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    Hello and Good Morning from Jerusalem !!!

    It is not so much religion letting German Jews react that way. It is rather the fear of the unknown.

    You have to see that the Jews in Germany are very organized within their communities. Everyone has his position and no one wants to be bothered from outside people. When I announced that I am from Israel the Jews feared that from now on, local institutions could invite me for giving lectures about Israel and not them (German Jews) anymore.

    German Jews prefer to be among themselves to avoid criticism from the outside. They don't even care if they deny you access or not. That's the worst. And the Rabbis, also the orthodox, keep quiet in order not to loose their jobs. Tha's German mentality.

    ReplyDelete