Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Niggunim and Takanot of Chassidut Gur

B"H

Surprisingly more and more people ask me about Chassidut Gur (Yiddish: Ger). This is very surprising to me because I always expected people asking about the extremists Satmar and especially about Toldot Aharon. Instead, many readers obviously prefer Gur and now I am forced to find out a little more. In a way this is quite easy, as I know Gerer Chassidim but on the other hand, the Gerer are known for only telling a small part of what is going on.

Just recently, one reader asked me about Niggunim (melodies) of Chassidut Gur. There is a CD with about a hundred songs or so, and whoever is interested can acquire this CD at institutions of Gur (Yeshivot or Synagogues). I heard that there are some chassidic stores where you can also buy it.

Chassidut Gur is the largest chassidic group in Israel with approx. 10,000 members. They are mostly located in Jerusalem, Bnei Brak and in Ashdod where they are building a hospital at the moment. Otherwise you can find them in Antwerpen, Zurich, New York and probably in London.

I know some Gerer Chassidim, a Gur dropout and an internal Gerer "social worker" taking care of any kind of problems within Gur.

For me as a woman, it is rather complicated getting into close touch with Gur. The former Rebbes defined the women's role very clearly. Gerer Chassidiot (female Gerer members) have a certain role to keep and Gur is the only chassidic group where women are not allowed to participate in the Tish of Rebbe Yaakov Aryeh Alter. Gur is a total men's world.

Maybe the same is taking place at Chassidut Alexander, as they are very similar and connected to Gur. But about that, I have no exact information yet.

All the internal Gerer laws are defined in the Takanot. Surprisingly, even the sex issue is described and this might be one of the reasons why Gerer male Chassidim are not meeting such a great Shidduch demand of women from other chassidic groups. Even the relatives of the Gerer Rebbe are mostly married to members of their own group.

A Gerer Chassid told me that accepting the internal laws (Takanot) works very different in Gur. Whereas the members of Toldot Aharon are obligated to sign them (every year anew), Gerer Chassidim would only read and accept them quietly. No big deal would be made about a signing ceremony or something.

Recently, an acquaintance of mine asked me if I could get him the written Takanot of Chassidut Gur. I was joking when I told him that he couldn't read them anyway. He is a Sephardic Jew and doesn't know any Yiddish; and the Takanot are definitely written in the Yiddish language. "Well, he said, you can translate".

A few days ago, I spoke to a Gerer Chassid and he claimed that the Gerer Takanot are not available in a written form but only orally. I cannot help it but I had the feeling that he didn't tell me the truth. Maybe I am wrong and overreacting.
Let's say, the Chassid told me the truth. Okay.
However, I would really appreciate it if one of the readers could inform me if the Chassid was right. Are the Takanot of Chassidut Gur are available in writing ?

I also asked him about his explanation why Gur is so popular among my readers, and he told me the following:
Gur presents itself rather as a big secret and they love to separate themselves from other chassidic groups. This would, of course, arouse curiosity among outsiders.

I responded that I had actually expected people being interested in Satmar or Toldot Aharon because they seem to be separated and secret. "No, said the Gerer, even Satmar and Toldot Aharon have some kind of public relation. The Gerer Rebbe, on the other hand, keeps everything secret and only the members know what is going on. And the members keep quiet no matter what".
Well, I could see that.

However, the Gerer Chassidim I know are willing to talk about Gur. And if, according to their opinion, I am allowed to get an answer and write about it, they will tell me. But there is a limit. I am a woman and an outsider and Gur wants to present itself in the very best light. So, I am going to receive "propaganda" material and everything besides I have to get in a different way called "by accident" ……..

2 comments:

  1. I'm a Gerrer Dropout. They're a bizarre cult. They should be prosecuted and eventually liberated.

    Read 1984 it describes thought crime/machshuves zures very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    I knew a Gerrer dropout in Jerusalem and for him, it wasn't easy at all getting adjusted to the outside world. He only knew Yiddish and Hebrew (no English), he had no clue about life of the outside population, including how to use a deodorant. Sounds strange but I saw him struggeling with the easiest things. And then the Mishmeret HaZniut threatened him but, fortunately, never showed up.

    Gur is a cult and even other Chassidim don't like them too much. I just admire everyone getting out of there.

    ReplyDelete