Thursday, June 19, 2008

Afternoon Escape

B"H

Obviously the Jerusalem National Library at the Givat Ram University Compound is the new meeting point for Haredim. Litvishe or Chassidim, you can meet anyone and each group or direction. Sometimes even the Toldot Aharon or Avraham Yitzchak; but those two groups much less than Belz, Vishnitz or especially Gerer (Gur) Chassidim.

Chassidut Gur is the biggest chassidic group in Israel with approx. 10,000 members. Rebbe Yaakov Aryeh Alter lives in Bnei Brak, countless of his Chassidim live in Jerusalem and many have also settled in Ashdod. Officially, Gerer Chassidim are not allowed to use the Internet unless they work with it. Some months ago, the Gerer Rebbe made a decree that his Chassidim should not surf the net.

However, as many other Chassidim as well, also the Gerer do use the net and enjoy surfing. Some Chassidim but not all, as I don't want to generalize. And most of whom I see are surfing through news and chassidic sites. The Gerer are extremely curious and are very interested in what is going on in other groups.

I can say that I have quite a lot of experiences with Chassidut Gur. I know some of them, I know one of their internal social workers, I know one runaway and I used to work for a company owned by a Gerer Chassid. If I have a question concerning Gur, I do get an answer. At least if my acquaintances have an answer. I also need to add that my contacts with Chassidut Ger are exclusively with men and not with women.

Yesterday I had another experience with Gur which was rather negative. I probably shouldn't say "with Gur" because it was only one Chassid and he is an individual and doesn't represent the whole group.

I was sitting at the above mentioned National Library and almost about to go, as I had to catch my bus to Tel Aviv. So, I went downstairs to return the books back to the shelves and to use the library computer. Next to me at the computer was a young reddish haired Gerer Chassid. Probably in his early twenties. No, he did not watch "dirty pictures" but the news. However, to me he looked rather …..urrgghhh….as there was something wrong. Believe it or not, I didn't have a good feeling. Then he got up and almost flew over my chair. He didn't apologize and went upstairs where I had my stuff including my laptop. I watched him because within the past two years, many laptops had been stolen from library users and now the management is extremely careful.

As I sad, I had a bad feeling and therefore watched the Chassid walking around. He disappeared in the back of the shelves but didn't really know what to do. Another girl was sitting at my table and I thought that she would watch my computer and thus I wouldn't need to worry. As the Chassid was somewhere in the back and the situation seemed to be fine, I went to the restroom.

After a few minutes, I came back upstairs to my stuff. The girl was still sitting there but guess what had happened.

No, nothing stolen.
My laptop and everything was still there. But the Gerer Chassid had taken over my place. He was sitting on my chair, had my laptop right in front of him and everything looked as all belongs to him.

I need to mention that all the other chairs around were free and available. Nothing was occupied or crowded.

Of course, my thought was that now I have to explain that all of this is my stuff and I told the Chassid that he took my seat.

No reaction and the girl across looked up.

I told him again that this is my place and he finally hesitated and got up.

He stood next to the shelf and wanted the seat back. He said nothing but was waiting for me what I am going to do. If I sit down and that's it or if I leave.

I told him that if he has such an emergency using this particular chair, I am leaving anyway and he can have it.

He said nothing but just stood and stared.

Finally I left, as I had planned before. Downstairs I told the story to another Chassid and he got upset about the Gerer's behaviour. We thought about complaining to the clerks but eventually didn't. Maybe we should have and now I really regret that we didn't.

I am not gossiping about Chassidut Gur but maybe their Rabbis including the Rebbe should start watching their young members. Only finding a Shidduch and being married is not a solution.

There are problems in each chassidic groups as well as in the litvishe society and Rabbis should react. I cannot tell you any solution but those Chassidim give a bad reputation to your whole group.

It goes without saying that I am not accusing the whole Chassidut Gur. All chassidic groups consist of individuals and you cannot constantly check on an individual. Many Chassidim only study in their Yeshivot until the early afternoon and after 3.00pm, you can be sure that many of them show up at the National Library in order to surf the net or read all the secular papers. It seems like a kind of escape and they don't really mind to meet other Chassidim or Haredim here, as plenty of them seem to have the same goal.

However, if someone wears religious clothes, and in this case, chassidic clothes, then everyone around will be aware of the ones running after their Yetzer.

6 comments:

  1. someone doing something bad is dressed like a chasid but not necessarily a chasid about a year ago there there was a fellow who broke out of prison but non of the media called him moracan chiloni only when its some one charedi then the chasid or charadi did this or that

    just because som one wears black doesn't make them immune to the yetzer hara

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    No one should judge a person accroding to his clothes.
    It is the same when you see someone with expensive clothes, as this doesn't necessarily have to mean that he is really rich.
    The same with the religious:
    Not everyone with a Kipa, a skirt or even chassidic clothes is totally religious.

    I cannot remember anymore which Rebbe it was but someone said that chassidic clothes should remind you of who you are.

    Obviously it doesn't always help.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post. My wife and I are very attracted to the Chassidus of Gur and were wondering where we should go to learn or daven when we come to Israel this summer. Thank you and Gut Vach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B"H

    So, you will be pleased to hear that today I am putting in another article about Gur.

    It is really an amazing how many people are interested in Gur.

    In case you live in New York, Gur is also there.

    All the best to your and your wife !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. B"H
    I study the maamers of the Sfas Emes and that is what attracts me to Gur. Im not sure if todays Gur will inspire me the same but I am none the less very intrigued by them. I also learn from other Chassidic groups that I also want to meet like Bostoner but so far Gur Chassidus ignites the aish of my neshama. If you could give me some locations you can even email me them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. B"H

    I also love the Sefat Emet and quote him many times in the Parasha I publish in German.

    There is a Synagogue of the Bostoner Rebbe in Jerusalem - Har Nof. I've been there once years ago, and, as far as I remember, most people there were Americans.

    However, I haven't had the time to inquire about the Bostoner Chassidut. I hope I will one day.

    I heard that there is also a Pittsburgh Chassidut. Do you know them ?

    In Jerusalem, Gur is very easy to find. The Ge'ulah neighbourhood is full of them.

    Their huge Beit Mirdash is in Malchei Israel, near Kikar Shabbat (Shabbat Square). Their huge Synagogue is in Bar Ilan Street, near the TV station and the Central Bus Station.

    The Rebbe lives in Bnei Brak and has his own neighbourhood.

    I haven't studied so much about Gur because I always feel obligated to study Peshis'cha and Kotzk first. If I do something, I am organized and do it in a certain order.:-))))

    But I will ask the Gerer for some material about their group. They love when I write about them.:-))) Well, only the positive, of course.

    ReplyDelete