Monday, March 10, 2008

People Talking

B"H

Every time it amazes me how people respond when I tell them that I write about haredi society. At a Shabbat dinner at friends in Mea Shearim, a woman (litvish) asked me if I am normal.
"Don't you have anything better to do ? Why don't you get married and have children ? And you know what - this is only your Yetzer HaRah convincing you to write".

The points she made sounded rather funny to me but the whole room was waiting for my response. All the guests, including our host, were anxious to hear what I have to say and stared at me with an open mouth. So I told the woman that it, first of all, does interest many people from abroad what is going on in Jerusalem. Of course, I don't know who exactly my readers are but it is much more positive giving people a serious idea about haredi society.
And it is even more important telling people all over the world the haredi point of view and not only some gossip, as many other writers or journalists do.

Everybody in the living room was quiet.

The woman said that she doesn’t necessarily agree with me but she made an interesting point:

"Does it give you a Chizuk - or in other words "Does it help you to become more religious?"

According to her, then everything would be okay and allowed.
Without hesitating I told her that, indeed this was the case.

The discussion was over and everyone happy. Obviously I had reacted in the right way and found everyone's approval.
However, the last point she made, has never really left my thoughts since. Does dealing with all the subjects including Chassidim bring a Chizuk (becoming more religious) ?

Generally speaking, I think that in most cases it doesn't but it very much depends on the person and on the purpose. Other writers have a certain goal, go to the Chassidim, find out whatever they are interested in and then leave. Subject finished. Now it is time to move on and make some money with all the new information.

With me it works very different and my friends can confirm that.
I think they would be so happy to confirm it, as I have been really going on their nerves lately. Talking about Chassidut without a break. There is hardly anything else anymore. I am lucky that most of my friends are more or less religious and, thus understand what I am talking about.

How has all this influenced me ?
After I had left haredi society, I would have never dreamt of going back. Well, maybe a little but nothing intense. I didn't even want to see the couple I know in Mea Shearim. No more influence and intensity.

Years later, I started my religious blogs and decided to explain Chassidut. Especially to German Jews who have absolutely no idea. First I described Chabad, Breslov and Gur but the next group, Vishnitz, was a problem. I didn't know too much about Vishnitz and hardly found any literature. The Haredim I asked only knew a little.
This was the point when I decided that I have to go out and speak to people. It actually took me more than another two months until I went to my first Tish ever: to Toldot Aharon.

For me, being back in society is a problem.
I didn't want to make the same mistakes again. Just keep cool and a distance. But, as it happens in life, the more you go, the more you get involved again.

A few weeks have passed since the litvishe woman made her statements, and today I can honestly say that it does give a Chizuk.

In the meantime, I am so much involved again that I sometimes consider taking a break from everything. No Chassidim, no synagogues, no nothing. Just getting a clear mind.
But on the other hand, I am an addict and cannot just leave everything. You can go away to another place but your thoughts always accompany you. I could be laying at the beach in Tel Aviv but my thoughts would be in religion itself and in the religious parts of Jerusalem. And as the Baal Shem Tov used to say: "You are where your thoughts are."

No comments:

Post a Comment