Monday, March 31, 2008

Moving

B"H

This week, I am moving to Tel Aviv for some time.
"BUT ONLY TEMPORARILY !!!"

I know that everybody says so but I really mean it, as I cannot imagine leaving Jerusalem for good. I have many things to do in Tel Aviv and besides, moving there gives me the opportunity writing about the local religious and especially about Bnei Brak. I think there are more chassidic Tishes on Shabbat than in Jerusalem. Vishnitz has already two Tishes at the moment, due to the fight between the two sons of the present Vishnitzer Rebbe. And the Sadigora Rebbes is located in Bnei Brak as well as the Shomrei Emunim Rebbe.
It won't be boring.

However, I will be in Jerusalem at least twice a week, as I am not leaving my bakery job. Not only because of the bakery but I don't want to loose touch with friends and places in Jerusalem. Nevertheless, I am also looking forward to Tel Aviv. Sometimes Jerusalem is too intense and small. I feel like I need to get out and see other people and experience something else. Of course, Tel Aviv is seen as the heart of the Israeli secular. It probably is but I don't need to mention that there are also many religious around. It is not my first stay in Tel Aviv, as I have lived there before. I know the city and the very different mentality. People there used to drive me nuts many times. Everybody seems to be in a rush, running after money and gossiping about Haredim. Jerusalem is more relaxed, people take it more easy but also gossip about Haredim. You choose where you belong…

And, I will come to Jerusalem for Shabbat. To Rabbi Mordechai Machlis and the Mea Shearim Tishes; not to forget Belz.

Photos from Bnei Brak



4 comments:

  1. B''H
    Shalom Miriam
    why people gossip about the Haredim??

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    Hi Carlos,

    There are many different reasons for that.

    First of all, by many secular, Haredim are seen as lazy parasites who don't go to the army and don't go to work and don't pay taxes. They just live off the social benefit from the government and are, thus a burden to the State of Israel. This is a common stereotype way of thinking and our secular media supports it very much.

    Things might be correct in a certain way but today, also haredi society is undergoing many changes. People do work and many started going to a special haredi army unit called "Nachal HaCharedi":

    http://www.nahalharedi.org/

    Other reasons to gossip is claiming that we don't need any crazy religious today. Israeli society is basically a modern society and who wants all this guys wearing funny chassidic coats and fur hats (streimel) on Shabbat.

    According to my experience, many secular actually admire the Haredim for their lifestyle. However, at the moment, the press is jumping again on the Haredim, as last week, a haredi mother got arrested because she abused her 12 kids. Well, she isn't really haredi, as she is part of a strange cult where relig. Jewish women dress like Arab woman. For modesty reasons and because they are freaks.

    http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1206446111507

    ReplyDelete
  3. when in tel aviv check out the breslov community of Rabbi bezenzon I think they call the place shir chadash

    ReplyDelete
  4. B"H

    Is this the Breslov place in Sheinkin ?

    ReplyDelete