Sunday, March 16, 2008

"Making an Effort"

B"H

Especially before an upcoming holiday, most chassidic Rebbes hold their Tishes. This might be nothing special in New York, however, in Jerusalem it is. Many chassidic Rebbes live in Bnei Brak and hardly ever come to their Jerusalem communities over Shabbat. But usually before or on the holiday itself, most Rebbes arrive. And, as you can imagine, last Erev Shabbat, my friend and I had a great choice of Tishes.

The Maariv prayer we spent, how could it be anywhere else, with Karlin - Stolin in Mea Shearim. As soon as I opened the door to the Ezrat Nashim, I saw that something special is going on. There were more women than ususal and it was completely packed downstairs at the men's section. At least 300 Chassidim were praying and crowds even gathered in the little alleyway between the benches. No space.
All kinds of Chassidim were there; especially Satmarer.

I looked around and spotted out the Karliner Rebbe (Jerusalem). He has his center in the Jerusalem outskirts of Givat Zeev and only sometimes comes to Mea Shearim. But there he was. It was the first time we ever saw him.

Grand Rebbe Baruch Yaakov Meir Schochet of Karlin-Stolin in Jerusalem



After the ecstatic Maariv prayer, someone announced in Yiddish that a Tish is taking place. I asked a woman for more details and was told that the Tish is actually only for men. When I said that this is very sad and what the women do now, I was told that the women go home. That's it.

The Karliner woman I spoke to told me that an extra tent had been set up for the Tish and the tent was too small anyway. She wasn't sad at all that she wasn't able to participate. Maybe the women were even happy because the weather was quite chilly. Or am I thinking too practical ?

As soon as Maariv was over, all the Chassidim ran outside. Probably to make Kiddush at home, eat, and then come back for the Tish. Most of the Satmarer ran into the Satmarer Beit Midrash right across. The Beit Midrash in Yoel Street belongs to one of the two Satmarer Rebbe's, Rabbi Zalman Leib Teitelbaum. However, the Shabbat meal in the Beit Midrash was only for men and we couldn't participate. Instead we started walking to the Maalot Dafna neighbourhood where Rabbi Mordechai Machlis lives and decided to have our meal there.
When we turned from Yoel Street into Mea Shearim Street, we met a mutual haredi friend. All the three of us walked down the street and right in front of the "Mishkenot HaRoim - Synagogue", I had this "great" idea of sending our haredi friend into the synagogue in order to speak to the Chassidim.

The "Mishkenot HaRoim" are a rather secret Mea Shearim group and only one picture exists. They are members of the Edah HaCharedit and it is extremely hard to get into their synagogue or in any other touch with them. Two Shabbatot ago, they had a Tish but the two entrances were for men only. I already thought about putting on a Streimel and buying a beard. It is so annoying when everything is just for men.

The "Mischkenot HaRoim". In the middle with white scarf: Rabbi Avraham Yitzchak Ullmann from Chassidut Dushinsky



So, I sent in our haredi friend who turned out to be a failure.
A blog reader once told me that I should sent in a man in order to find out more about the Mishkenot HaRoim. I did and I wish I had gone myself. Even if the Mishkenot HaRoim had fainted.
You send in a man and he messes up everything. The only thing he asked was if we are allowed to come in and if there is an Ezrat Nashim. A very nice Chassid told our friend a whole story and when he came back, we asked about the information he had just received. But, as our friend wasn't interested in the whole subject, he hadn't even listen to the Chassid. Can you imagine ?
However, I heard from the Mishkenot HaRoim Chassid that we are allowed to come in. But…..their women only pray in the mornings. Whatever. This is at least something.
But I promise, no further men are being send to collect information.

We went to Rabbi Machlis's meal and came back to Mea Shearim at about 10.45pm. Late, I thought.
Again we walked down Mea Shearim Street and I assumed that the "Shomrei Emunim - Guardians of Faith" might have a Tish. We entered the backyard, climbed up the stairs and yes, there was a Tish. The Shomrei Emunim Rebbe, Rabbi Avraham Chaim Roth, had arrived from Bnei Brak. It was only our second time participating in the Tish.

The Rebbe of the "Shomrei Emunim": Rabbi Avraham Chaim Roth



We were even lucky because not too many women had arrived yet. The Mechitzah at the Shomrei Emunim is a little catastrophe. It is small and hard to look through. However, we found a great spot and could see almost everything.

Although the Shomrei Emunim are NO member of the Edah HaCharedit and keep themselves separate from their "competitor" Toldot Aharon, you can feel some kind of originality. It is definitely because of Rebbe Avraham Chaim Roth who is the son of Rebbe Aharon Roth, the original founder of the later Toldot Aharon. When Rebbe Arele died in 1947, his Chassidim chose his son - in - law, Rabbi Avraham Yitzchak Kahn, as the successor and not his son, Rabbi Avraham Chaim. The result was that Rebbe Avraham Chaim left and founded his own group, the Shomrei Emunim.

Rebbe Avraham Yitzchak Kahn, his two sons, whatever….the present Shomrei Emunim Rebbe still epitomizes the original atmosphere, whereas the present Toldot Aharon Rebbe as well as the Avraham Yitzchak Rebbe have changed the groups in many ways. Especially the original customs. Rebbe David Kahn introduced some Satmarer customs and his brother, Rebbe Yaakov Shmuel Kahn, took over Vishnitzer customs. It could be that Rebbe Avraham Chaim Roth changed as well, however, he is the son of Rebbe Arele and that means something.

I loved the Shomrei Emunim Tish from the moment I entered. They do have plenty of male visitors coming in. When we were there, at least 70 Chassidim joined the Tish. Rebbe Roth sang first and the Chassidim joined later. Besides Belz, the Shomrei Emunim have the greatest songs. At least according to what we have experienced so far.

Rebbe Roth does Kiddush and Netillat Yadaim with high Kavanah and takes his time. You can see that he just doesn't do it because he has to but also really means is. And this is what I like.
I was already planning to stay for the whole Tish, as more and more women were filling up the Ezrat Nashim and started to squeeze us in from all sides. This was the moment when I decided to leave and I really felt sorry. Hopefully Rebbe Roth has another Tish this coming Shabbat.

Our second destination were the Toldot Aharon.
This was a very short visit. We walked in, got a shock and walked out. Three minutes only. You cannot imagine what was going on. Hundreds of women stood behind the Mechitzah and we had no chance in squeezing ourselves in. Maybe we should have learned better from the Shomrei Emunim women….

We left and walked over to Toldot Avraham Yitzchak.
Almost the same picture. The Ezrat Nashim was packed and for the next two hours or so, we were only standing. But not only somewhere but right behind Rebbitzen Channah and her chair.

The Mosdot Toldot Avraham Yitzchak in Mea Shearim.



Countless times I have written about the Avraham Yitzchak Tish and now I only want to describe a little what was going on behind the scenes last Erev Shabbat. However, not without mentioning that the Toldot Avraham Yitzchak Tish is my most beloved Tish in Mea Shearim. Rebbe Shmuel Yaakov Kahn is a great entertainer and I like him very much. It is very obvious that he cares for his Chassidim on a personal level. Well, he can do so, as his group is not too big.

To the far right: Rebbe Shmuel Yaakov Kahn



I know that I always mention the Toldot Aharon but they and other groups are only my No. 2.
Sorry, to say this.

All Rebbes we have seen so far are great and care for their Chassidim, however Rebbe Yaakov Shmuel is something special. He sings, dances and celebrates…..unbelievable.

After we were watching the Tish for a while, my friend leaned over and whispered that some Avraham Yitzchak women would like to speak to me. Four women sitting right behind us looked at me rather anxiously. Who we are, where we are from, all kinds of questions. They had seen us several times before and were curious. In their eyes we might have been some phonies but we ended up in a great discussion.

While answering all the questions, more and more women came over and sat down. They wanted to listen to our discussion and many didn't even look at the Rebbe anymore. They seemed to be so anxious talking to someone else and hearing other opinions. In other words, their curiosity totally overtook them. I could have asked them whatever I wanted, as they were in their talking mood. But I am not after people's private lives because it is none of my business. Instead, we ended up in a great religious discussion and I personally gained a lot from it.

I told them that once I had studied at a haredi Yeshiva but then got a crisis and left society.
This didn't make them faint at all.
They also weren't surprised when I told them about my talmudic studies.
Then we discussed how someone could become more religious and slowly find his way back into haredi society.
I told them that many times I feel guilty: "When I see you guys, I always feel guilty."

I told them that the week before, I had been for Shacharit at the Toldot Aharon Synagogue where I saw and heard nothing from the davening. It was too packed and the Mechitzah was a disaster. I ended up sitting with my Sidur and looking for the right prayer and page. This was another disaster because I didn't heard anything from the prayers downstairs. Finally I decided to say the regular prayers on my own.
The Avraham Yitzchak women responded the following:
"You did the right thing. You said your own prayers and made an effort. This is exactly what G - d wants from you."

I replied that I felt a kind of stupid because all the Toldot Aharon women seemed to know where we were but I was just too embarrassed to ask and bother them all the time. And to me, they looked busy praying all the time. Wow, so intense, Kavanah and everything.

Response of the Avraham Yitzchak women:
"How do you know if people really pray ? Don't you think that also their minds wander around. Sometimes people look like they are praying but they are not. We are all human beings and it is extreme important that one at least makes an effort."

In the meantime, more and more women were taking their seats next to us and listened. We were really the attraction.
I am sure that almost the whole Ezrat Nashim knew after a while were my friend and I were from. And in the end, even my English speaking friend found an Avraham Yitzchak woman from New York to talk to.

After the Tish was finished, I investigated about Purim and the women told me to come. On Sunday (Purim in Jerusalem) a great Tish is taking place in the late afternoon and I promised to show up.
I am really looking forward to it.

What I learned from that night ?
Not everybody is perfect and I was amazed how easily the Avraham Yitzchak women dealt with the fact that not every Jew is on the highest level or faces certain difficulties finding the right page in the Sidur. It is the effort that counts and they are right.
How could I forget about this tiny but important fact ?
I needed to go to Toldot Avraham Yitzchak to get reminded.


Most Rebbes are going to celebrate Purim in Jerusalem:

The Gerer Rebbe will be here and give a Tish.
But - MEN ONLY !!! As usual.

The Rebbe of Karlin - Stolin is staying in Givat Zeev but the regular prayer is taking place in Jerusalem as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment