Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Chassidic Tish Guide Part 4 - Chassidut Toldot Aharon

B"H

Although the Toldot Aharon Tish is not my personal No. 1, it definitely represents one of the most important experiences I ever had in my life. A few years ago someone told me to go to the Toldot Aharon Tish but I refused. What do I have to do with them ? They appeared to be so different, extreme and weird.

Then I was invited to a wedding where the Toldot Aharon Rebbe, Rabbi David Kahn, was supposed to appear. I knew Chassidim from the Chatam Sofer group and their daughter got married to a national religious guy who had decided to become chassidic and join the Toldot Aharon. However, I simply didn't feel like such a religious wedding and stayed at home.

For years I had been passing the synagogue in Shivtei Israel Street, right next to Mea Shearim Street. I heard the great singing inside and thought about going in. Nevertheless, it never seemed to work out.

Last year I decided to describe chassidic groups on my blogs (in German and English) and, as I mentioned before, I found out that literature is not everything. Go out and speak to Chassidim. This wasn't too hard for me since I had been in society before. I know Chassidim and understand Yiddish (my talking is still a mess).

After I wrote about Gur, Breslov, Chabad and Vishnitz, I chose the Toldot Aharon next. I have no idea why, it just came into my mind. Their Tish is well known and one Erev Shabbat, I went with a friend to the synagogue in Shivtei Israel. Actually already for Maariv. After inquiring about where and when, we were told that the Toldot Aharon women don't go to daven on Erev Shabbat. But, at the same time, we were told to come to the Tish later on, as the Rebbe's daughter celebrated her Sheva Berachot (special celebrations after the wedding). So, we went and somehow got stuck. Until today.

Of course, we went to plenty of other Tishes as well but we always love to come back to Toldot Aharon. It is not only the Rebbe, the Chassidim or the songs; the whole atmosphere is just impossible to describe. I have been going there for almost a year now, and enjoyed talking to so many women and young girls. As a female visitor you cannot really have a conversation with the men.

I think one of the reasons why we love their Tish is the friendliness of the group members. They have something special in their behaviour. Maybe due to the Takanot (internal laws) or simply due to their way of upbringing. Of course, you also meet different characters but all the women seem to have something in common, and I am unable to define it. Maybe it is just a feeling. As soon as I asked questions concerning the group, most women were anxious to answer. I heard great stories there and so far, only have positive experiences. And it is due to the Toldot Aharon women that many of my writings come into existence. Not only them but other group members from different chassidic groups. It is the Chassidim themselves playing the most important role on this site and not me.


During the winter, the Toldot Aharon Tish starts at about 10pm, during the summer they start at 11pm.
The Tish lasts for approximately 3.5 hours.


The Toldot Aharon on Sukkot



The two men's entrances are easy to find.
One entrance to the Ezrat Nashim, however, is right at Shivtei Israel. In order to get to the second one, you have to enter the little alleyway to the right of the synagogue, and turn left at the end. There you will get to some stairs. Climb up and enter through the white metal door.

Rebbe David Kahn keeps his Tish organized, no doubt about that. He has a special timetable and starts and finishes on time. There is a sign in Yiddish that women should start leaving the building at least 15 minutes before the Tish ends. This is due to modesty reasons. If men and women were leaving at the same time they would meet in the street outside and come into contact.

Rebbe David Kahn comes in, makes a blessing (Beracha) over Be'samim (herbs) and starts making Kiddush. The same Be'samim custom we saw at the Shomrei Emunim (the first Toldot Aharon split off).

The Rebbe eats a whole meal.

Of course, the men downstairs have more space than the women upstairs. The Ezrat Nashim consists of two large rooms where you can stand or sit on metal benches. They are placed on top of each other and the whole scene looks like a theatre. If you come early you will find a good spot. Especially during the holidays, the place is totally packed and it happened in the past that we left after a few minutes. No chance to see anything.

The women are usually very friendly and extremely helpful. Yiddish is THE language but also Hebrew. Sometimes you find a group member speaking English but you really have to look for someone. Usually the guests know more English. Especially the many Satmar women visiting the Tish.

The Mechitzah is great in most cases. If you find a bad spot, you might stand behind the very few metal Mechizot. Anyway, the more common Mechitzah are the glass windows where you can see everything.

Be aware that during the summer they do not change their huge clocks to daylight saving. As they do not recognize the State of Israel and its laws, they don't change the time. Thus, you are always an hour behind.

All men have a chance to get food from the Rebbe's Tish. At a certain point, you can also line up and shake the Rebbe's hand. Plenty of fruit and cake will be given out before the end of the Tish.

At the end, the Rebbe and all Chassidim hold each other's hand and start swinging.

The Tish is never boring, as there is always something to see.

Location: Toldot Aharon Synagogue in Shivtei Israel, Jerusalem.

The Tish is highly recommendable.

Usually there are many visitors and it is full. The good thing is that most visitors leave early and if you come after midnight, there might be more space.

As the Toldot Aharon were my first chassidic Tish ever and I got to know many women, I always feel a special connection to the place. Whenever they have a Tish, I go. Even for half an hour or so.

If you go to chassidic Tishes, never ever leave out the Toldot Aharon.

Video: Visit of the Toldot Aharon Rebbe in Queens

1 comment:

  1. Great post you got here. It would be great to read more about that theme. Thank you for posting this information.
    Joan Stepsen
    Tech and gadgets

    ReplyDelete