Monday, February 25, 2008

A Set Up ?

B"H

It happened many times that when I spoke to Chassidim and inquired about their groups I was told the following:

"You are welcome any time. We get someone special for you who knows the Chassidut and everything. He will show you around the synagogue, anywhere you want and you can speak to our women as well."

As soon as I hear all this, all my alarm bells are ringing. The offers are very nice and I really appreciate them. I don't want to mention the chassidic groups but I had quite a few of such offers. "Come to us, come to us, we are the best. You don't need all the others. Forget about them."

Countless times I mentioned that I write about many different groups. I need to say that sometimes I am jealous for not being in New York and going to the Satmar, Bobov, Tosh, or whatever Tishes. I know very few Satmarer here and as almost everyone of them in Mea Shearim is with the Rebbe Zalman Leib Teitelbaum, I always need to travel to Bnei Brak in order to speak with Rebbe Aharon Teitelbaum followers. Not always, but the majority is in Bnei Brak.

Although Rebbe Aharon visited Jerusalem last August and laid the cornerstone for a new building in Raul Wallenberg Street (the new Kiryat Yoel), nothing has been moving. The construction site has been a huge hole since. No further Rebbe Aharon followers at sight, so far. Well, at least there are two Satmarer synagogues available.

So, what about the offers from different groups ? And by the way, those Chassidim know exactly what I am doing. Writing about chassidic groups on the Internet. And many simply want to see their particular group on the Internet. Present us in a nice way.
I admit that I will take the offers of being shown around. Why not ? The only thing bothering me is, how reliable are all the information I am going to receive ? Is it more a PR - trip ?
And even if I spoke to different group members including the women, what are they going to tell me if they know that I write on the net ?

It depends on my questions. Of course, I would not formulate anything rude but, after all the time, I know what and how to ask. It has become routine. Even if they try to get around a precise answer, I still figure out if the answer is right or wrong. Or half and half.

The most funny thing is when we talk about other groups. Chassidim just know everything. Even the Toldot Aharon know about Chabad, believe it or not. Some even have Chabad relatives. And every group wants to present itself in the most popular way. "Our Rebbe is the greatest. Don't forget to mention him. And if you need any further information or stories, we are the right address."

As long as someone is not an accepted group member, he won't receive any detailed insight information. Even when I studied with Chabad, I wasn't told many of their secrets. Instead, the real Chabadnikkim were whispering to each other at the table. When I once in London asked about a particular Chabad rabbi, what's wrong with him…., I was told that as long as I am not Chabad, no one would ever tell me. That was it.

The only answer to this question is that someone has to feel what could be right or wrong. When you know the Chassidim, their attitude, their group, the people and the mentality, you can feel when someone is making a show or talking Tacheles. It depends who you meet, how prepared you show up and if you know how to deal with the situation.

When I go somewhere, I will be prepared. From the Chozeh of Lublin to Peshis'cha to Kotzk. And I will really drive them nuts with my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment