Monday, February 18, 2008

How careful do we have to be ?

B"H

Not only once I was asked how I would deal with the situation if a chassidic group was threatening me due to my writings.
Are you not afraid that they find out ?
This question I was asked many times in private e - mails.
The answer is:
"No, I am not afraid."

First of all, I don't write anything offensive about anyone besides some regular jokes about national religious and Litvaks.
No, seriously, I am not aware of anything offensive I have written, so far. Of course, I don't make only propaganda for the haredi society. How great it is to be Haredi let alone chassidic. Living in the perfect world without any negative things. Everyone is just happy and great. I do write about negative issues in the haredi society, and there are a lot. Good and bad things, as also the haredi society is a human society with its pros and cons. We are all people and make mistakes.

Someone wrote that some writers only pick on the bad points instead of mentioning that there are thousands of happy Haredim. No one is claiming the opposite and I know many happy Haredim myself. However, the society as a whole is not always the ideal paradise and things happened and should be mentioned. Everybody has a right to know and another important point is that the things mentioned, could help other people to deal with a similar situation.

Concerning the writings about particular chassidic groups:
I also don't think that I have written anything bad. If anyone has criticism or alterations, he is welcomed to let me know.

Another question coming up is:
Do you tell the Chassidim that you write about them ?
The answer is that is really depends.
Chassidic friends know what I am doing but asked me not to write about them. At least not mentioning their names and addresses. A thing I wouldn't do anyway.

I know people from Dushinsky, Avraham Yitzchak, Gur, Belz or Vishnitz and they know exactly what I write, as some of them even read it on a regular basis.

A few weeks ago, the Rebbitzen of Kretchnif Jerusalem spoke to me but didn't ask me straight away what I am doing. I, on the other hand, thus didn't see a need to tell her. If someone was asking me directly, I wouldn't have a problem telling them.
If the Toldot Aharon woman and I had spoken for a far longer time last Shabbat, I would have definitely told her. I am not a journalist looking for scandals in haredi society. Unfortunately, many Chassidim do think so when I first tell them:
"Oh, you are probably just like everyone else. Gossiping about us."
It always takes me some time explaining strangers that it is not that way.

All in all, I am not afraid and I don't see any reason why the Edah HaCharedit or anyone else should ban me. And I don't think this would ever happen. At least, I hope not.
What I do always emphasize when I speak to Chassidim is that other religious Jews all over the world are interested in what is going on, and not everybody lives in Jerusalem and can participate live.

The chassidic answer to this is that they have never thought about such an argument. After some minutes of thinking it over, the absolute majority eventually agrees. Other chassidic groups simply like to see their Rebbes and groups published, and they cooperate without hesitating. Of course, afterwards they want to see what I wrote and forward it to further group members.

The main actors in all my stories are the Haredim themselves and this is what keeps everything going.

Nevertheless, there are situations where I am seriously asking myself if this should be published or not. If so, how should I fit it into non - offensive words / context ?
Especially with one group, one has to be extremely careful.

But where does censorship start and where does it end ?

No comments:

Post a Comment