Thursday, January 24, 2008

"לא מתאים"

B"H

"לא מתאים - not suitable", how many times have I heard this sentence ?

Heard from Haredim who rejected my ideas about Talmudic studies or any higher Jewish studies. Not only Jewish studies but also University studies in a secular environment. From a Satmar member I was told that the university is a dirty place anyway. Men and women sit and study together. How can that be ?

When especially chassidic women tell me "לא מתאים", they want to express that their society is totally different. A different value systems. You grow up, have a Shidduch, the family and kids. This is basically it. If you are lucky and have time, you go for the Parashat HaShavua. The easy way with Rashi commentary.

I am not saying that Rashi is always easy but this is mostly it for the women. Unless you are Breslov or Chabad.

"Not suitable" for the haredi or chassidic society as a whole.
During many years of dealing with Haredim, I never really met a woman who would be interested. People were busy throughout day and when I looked at them as a little ignorant, they, on the other hand, thought that I am strange.

However, in the end, the majority asked me detailed questions about what I learn. About different Midrashim or the Talmud. Some were really hungry for certain teachings and the more I came, the more I was asked.

2 comments:

  1. It's spelled לא מתאים

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    Thanks. I had forgotten to change the mistake in the text.

    ReplyDelete