Thursday, January 24, 2008

Being with Chabad

B"H

In my religious German blog I wrote a huge article on Sue Fishkoff's book about the Chabad Shlichim.

Especially in Germany, Chabad has to face plenty of challenges, as local litvishe rabbis see them as a great competitor, and my goal was, to explain further details to the Germans. Not every Chabadnik is a Meshichist and there are many good people among Chabadnikkim.

When you see the title of Sue Fishkoff's book "The Rebbe's Army", one might think that the author is going to tell us all the Chabad secrets. But in the end, she does not but rather admits that she was impressed visiting all the different US - Shlichim. Why not ?

For secular Jews, Chabad definitely has something to offer. Especially when you are traveling and cannot find kosher food or a Shabbat meal. Chabad is just everywhere. Katmandu, Zaire or Brussels.

Almost eight years ago, I didn't get a place in my German Jewish community for the Pessach Seder. "Members only" and I wasn't an offical member because I never signed up. No membership, no Pessach Seder and no Mazzot. In the end, the Mazzot I bought in Frankfurt and the Seder I spent with Chabad in Brussels. It was great and I met nice people.

The first time I came in touch with Chabad was in August 1996. I was invited at Chabad in the Old City and somehow got stuck with their Shiurim (classes). Actually I had no idea what they were talking about. Tanya, Neshamot, Sparks, the Breaking of the Vessels, the ARI, etc. The classes started somewhere in the middle as other participants were already more advanced. Only after a while, I got an idea, as I was also studying at home.

In Israel, I spent another few Pessach Seders with Chabad. In Jerusalem as well as in Safed. For anyone interested: No, I wasn't brainwashed and only asked if I want to become a member. I said: "NO".

The problem started when I announced that I am also looking into other chassidic groups. Then the rabbi was upset and offended. Chabad is the only group having something to offer. Something intellectual.

Very true, as already the founder, Rabbi Shneur Zalman of Liadi, stressed intellect. And when you look at other chassidic groups, intellect is not the most important issue but emotions.
"Why is Satmar such a closed group ?" I was asked by Chabad. Because they have nothing to offer and are afraid that the members are running away. I didn't really agree to this idea.
Then I bought the "Likutei Moharan" as well as "Rabbi Nachman's Stories", and the rabbi was totally offended. I would buy the wrong books.

After a while I quit going to the Shiurim. Not because I didn't like it anymore but simply because I wanted to go on in life. I had a great time with Chabad but after a while it was time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment