Sunday, October 28, 2007

Reb Shlomo and Rav Meir

B"H

Two controversial rabbis who knew and respected each other. This week many Jews celebrate the Yahrzeit of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach (today) and Rabbi Meir Kahane (this coming Tuesday).

I do not belong to the followers of any of these rabbis. Reb Shlomo is too hippie and freaky although I do like some of his songs. However, as soon as I meet the real "Carlebachers", I get the feeling that I just cannot stand their "freaky hippie waving around". It is simply too much for me.

The same with Rabbi Kahane. For me, he was a little too radical but, nevertheless, he was a rabbi with many great Torah teachings. Unfortunately, too many people only concentrate on his political views but forget about his Torah shiurim.

No comments:

Post a Comment