Sunday, May 27, 2007

Being accepted

B"H

Yesterday at the Seudat Shlishit, I heard an amazing story from a friend. But first of all, I should mention that I write about chassidic groups and that Toldot Aharon is my present subject. I read some of their books and although I do not agree with all their ideas, I started understanding their reasons and why they act in such and such a way.

However, this coming Friday, I am planning to go to their great synagogue in the Mea Shearim neighbourhood. To me it is very important not only to read books about topics but also talking to people, and I am really looking forward to Toldot Aharon.

Anyway, I spoke to a friend who always goes to different Tishes of the chassidic rebbes in Mea Shearim. He told me something I had never expected. He said that he knows someone who converted to Judaism, joined Satmar and now lives in one of the Mea Shearim backyards. Yes, he is accepted, as he picked up everything very quickly. Even his Yiddish sounds perfect.

Usually it seems impossible to join certain chassidic groups when you are not born into it. Nevertheless, there are successful cases and I really admire such people.

No comments:

Post a Comment